Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Kathy Lee and Hoda! Pick me!


So Kathy Lee and Hoda are hosting a "The Voice" competition. I thought what the heck, I'll apply. Shoot dang though because I couldn't get my video to upload for the entire time the contest was open. Here is my last stitch effort to get them to see it. Call it crazy, call it chicken salad. I just really want to go to New York.


Hi! My name is Shelby Hintze. I am 18 years old (almost 19!), I am from Marysville, WA and I go to school at Brigham Young University in Provo, UT. I will be a sophomore in the fall and am studying Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations. I also have Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA), a degenerative muscle disease. This affects all of my muscles, making them much weaker than others, including my lungs. I would always sing along with all my Disney movies when I was little and my parents realized this would be a great way to keep me healthy. I have been singing individually and in choirs every sense and it has developed into something I love. I have also had fewer bouts of pneumonia then most kids with SMA my age, simply because my lungs have maintained their strength. It has also helped emotionally. I'm one to make life a musical, a song for every situation and just like on Glee (gotta love that show...), sometimes the best way to express yourself is through song.

Now SMA has never slowed me down in any aspect of my life. I was involved in student leadership all through high school and continue to be involved in college. Two summers ago I was even Marysville Strawberry Festival Queen. And just this fall I flew the nest to go to my dream school, something a lot of people didn't think I could do. I want to show others that SMA isn't going to slow me down and if they put their mind to it, nothing is going to slow them down either. A sweet smile and a little song can change the world!

1 comment:

  1. Shelb! You have an awesome voice! I hope you get on the show!

    ReplyDelete